Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Small and Big

Today I took a little break from my big project, the 9-patch quilt, and made a quick little project as a birthday/graduation gift for my sister.  I'm pretty excited about it, because I just sorta winged it.  It is a quilted case for her kindle. The kindle measures 7.5" x 4.8" or so.  I used a scrap of batting left over from my baby quilt from before, as well as a grey-on-grey print I bought for curtains and a red that I have been using here and there (bought from a lady who was selling out her home sewing business).

I'll try and explain what I did.  That way, even if no one else ever uses it, I can come back and make another (I also have a kindle)!

I started off by making a quilt sandwich of the batting and each colour of fabric.  I used rectangles measuring approximately 9" x 17".  I lined them up evenly, and basted it with safety pins.  I would have liked to stipple it, but I don't have a free motion quilting foot, so I used the walking foot to quilt it.  I simply did vertical lines using the foot width as a guide, and mine is a bit more than 1/4".

Edited to add: this is too wide.  I think that if you just measured the width of the kindle, add 1" and you'll be good.

Once I finished the quilting, I made 1" binding and sewed that along the two narrow ends.  Then I folded the whole thing in half, right sides together, the long way.  I used a small zig-zag stitch and sewed up the sides, sewing the corners a bit.  I trimmed off all the excess that I safely could.

Once I flipped it inside out I added a cute button and a loop (to the back, inside) in the same colour as the binding to hold it shut.  Nothing too fancy!  I am sure there is a better way to do this, but I'm quite pleased with it. 

I'd intended to do a fold-over flap at the top, but I
forgot to make it long enough, and decided this
would work just fine!
I washed it once I was finished because I left enough room to shrink and still fit the kindle.  I may take a picture with a kindle in it to get the idea of whether it is a good size.  The final size is pretty much 8" x 6".  Now that it's finished I see that I needed to take more pictures along the way.  If I make another I will!

After I finished the kindle case, I finished pressing my 9-patch squares.  There they are, all 48 of them, and tomorrow I will start sewing my rows together.  We'll see how far I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment