Wednesday, 21 May 2014

WIP Wednesday

I didn't do a lot this past week, but did have a little fun.

First off, I used left over squares from Abby's baby quilt to make some HSTs  and decided to go with the chevron layout to show them off.  It's one of my favourite collections ever so I figured that I had better get it up on my wall in my little sewing room.
I'm sure sometime soon I will get it quilted and bound, the nice thing about minis is how quick they are!! That and table-top basting.


Other than that I did some more clothing sewing.  This little top was mostly done a while ago, but I couldn't figure out my button hole attachment so it languished almost complete for a bit.  I used a tutorial from Pinterest.  
It's supposed to be 6-12 months but is massive so I think I must have had the scaling wrong and not realized it.  It'll be cute whenever it fits though!



The following two pics are of my little munchkin wearing some leggings that I made for her from pants of mine that I no longer wear.  I just love sewing tiny clothes, and leggings are really easy!!

How awesome are those moccasins?!?!

That neck thing started as a headband, but works better like this.

Wednesday, 14 May 2014

WIP Wednesday

I didn't do a whole heck of a lot in the last little bit.  Below are the next two blocks in my Harry Potter bookshelf quilt.  For those of you who know HP, that little bottle is Felix Felicis :-).

Harry Potter quilt

The next block on my table is going to be a tough one as you can see--the classic glasses!  Wish me luck.

Harry Potter quilt

I made some bunting to decorate the top of my peg board in my sewing room.  I probably could have done a couple less pieces and spaced them out more.  The fabric is Frog Prince by Tula Pink and I love it.  Either way, it's a nice addition to my room.

Some bunting to brighten my sewing room.

I took the plunge and purchased a Nessie top pattern from Craftiness is not optional.  I did my first attempt with an old t-shirt of mine because I don't want to use my precious purchased knits until I know I can do a good job.  I used the t-shirts' sleeves edge so that's why they look so good!  The neck line is where I need the most work, but all in all it wasn't awful.

First attempt at the Nessie top. I used an old t-shirt so I don't waste good fabric. I cut the sleeves from the existing sleeves to get that edge. I also used a stencil and sprayed bleach water to make that design. Bottom will stay serged-nice contrast.

I wanted to glam it up a bit so I used some bleach water and sprayed it over a stencil--I'll likely use that trick again!  The bottom edge is just serged to give it a neat look--I didn't feel like hemming it!!

Here is Abby in her Nessie top. It's a little big which is fine, but I really need work on that collar. I think I need to stretch it more?
It's a little big.  Love those legs!!!
Last but not least, I said that when I got her to wear it I would provide a picture of Abby in the top I made for her.  So here's two!

I cut the back too short, hence the extra bit!

Hey guys.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday with Freshly Pieced and Finish it up Friday with crazy mom quilts.

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

WIP Wednesday

It's been for a little while, but I am really loving having my own space for quilting.  What a difference it makes in productivity and cleanliness levels.  We have a few things left to fix up in my sewing room, but I think that when it is done I will post up some pictures because I'm so proud how well it turned out!

Anyways, this week my friend Jess and I continued along our journey through the quilt blocks in Vintage Quilt Revival.  If you look below you'll see our efforts, her's is on the left and mine is on the right.  I'm so impressed with how much she has improved since we started.  I am continuing to try and branch away from my usual fabric choices. 


The lighting is not great because I took these late in the day without much natural light so you can't get the full effect, but this block has a nice "jewel tone" to it, which I really dig but never seem to do!


Here is the third little top that I've made in this pattern with a print from the Little Ones fabric line--I love it so much!  It was a real lesson in patience because of how many times I messed up but in the end it's delightful (and I will never mark pattern pieces on the good side of my fabric ever again).  I used double fold bias tape that I bought on the sleeves, and for this top I made the neck pieces bigger on my own--I much prefer that look!

This one is for my little one, so when she wears it I will take and post a picture :-)
Here is a cute little pair of leggings I made as a baby gift.  But, once again, I messed up.  I had the stretch going up and down, not side to side, by accident.  So I cut off the top and replaced it with some fabric with the stretch going the right way.  I hope these work!!


Bonus baby picture for those who made it this far!


I was so excited to get this bundle in the mail.  The top five fabrics are knits and one voile, and the rest is some Penelope by Camelot Cottons and yardage of a home decor Bungalow from Joel Dewberry (see usage below).


And here is my "custom" ironing board.  I just stapled some batting, insul-brite, and the fabric onto a scrap piece of plywood I cut to size.  I plan to attach it to my ironing board stand for stability, but I am pretty excited about this.