Friday 7 October 2011

An accident, a makeover, and a new project

I officially start work as a nurse on Tuesday.  But until then, my only real responsibility is to feed the dogs.  AKA-getting lots of sewing done!  So, in keeping with the title, I'll go through what I did this morning.

The accident, not as bad as it sounds.  I am making a snapshots quilt from Elizabeth at Oh, Fransson and I misread the instructions for the backing a cut, well, a lot of extra pieces.  But I know that I made the correct amount of pieces in the first place, so this quilt seems to have a lot of scraps.  Anyways, I have enough left over to make another quilt.  A baby quilt that is.


Now that I've taken a picture I see that I need to rearrange it a bit to separate a couple of the same prints.  I'm a little sad because I used every. single. scrap. of my Pure fabric line and as can be seen, I didn't need to.  Oh well, the good news is, this will be a very 'low level' work project because I just need to sew a few rows together. And add a border.

The makeover was much needed, and really quick.

Before:

Um, gross.
After:


I put a layer of batting over the grey cover and just popped the new one on top of that.  Gives it a little more cushion.  I used a tutorial from Craftiness is not Optional because I just wasn't sure how to go about it.  And it's super easy.  Maybe since I'm done school I feel like I don't have to think anymore??  The fabric is from Connecting Threads.  I love how bright and cheery it is.  And not covered in yucky stains.

Lastly, I have started a new project.  I have had the fabric for a while, I just wanted to get a little further on the snapshots before I started.  Anyhow, it's a quilt tutorial from Moda Bake Shop called Starry Eyed, and I just love love love it.  I knew I had to make it.  I was even really uncreative and got exactly the same fabric line because it looks so good.  And it was hard, at the time, to find a Christmas line that had charm packs and layer cakes.  I would have liked to do basically any of these or the flourish line from Robert Kaufman, that was available back when I ordered.  But, I honestly do love Countdown to Christmas, I just wish there was less black.  Oh well, it's going to be great!!


I just need to cut out the sashing and I'll have all of the fabric for the front cut out.

It's been a good day!

7 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel great to get alot done! Oooo I love that starry eye pattern! Can't wait to see your progress! Your baby quilt look nice too so don't be sad about using up your scraps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the snapshots, it looks great! Every time you look at it, you'll love the fabrics again.
    The Starry Eyed quilt is going to be beautiful, the red is so vibrant, and I love fabric with words on, like I see you do too. And good luck on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt! And I love the new ironing board cover - I need to do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! Better to have too much cut than too little fabric, right? Great job on recovering your ironing board. That's one of those projects that you know needs to get done but maybe isn't at the top of the to do list, lol. Mine is really bad! Have fun with your new project :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Hope your nursing job goes well. I've been nursing for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ironing board makeover! I desperately need one for my ironing board. Found you through your comment on my blog. Thanks for stopping by, and keep up the wonderful sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's happened to me more than once; cutting more fabric than needed. But it always worked out in the end. Your ironing board came out great! I have some of that fabric also. I love Connecting Threads! Look forward to seeing your Christmas quilt!

    ReplyDelete