Monday 12 September 2011

Fantabulous Fandango

After hours and hours of working, it is finally complete.  And I'm extremely pleased with it. Despite a few  (many) flaws, I love how it turned out!  And, unfortunately for me, hand sewing the binding on the back looks so much better than by machine.  At least I'm bound to get faster eventually. If you caught that one you're after my own heart.


Ta-da!  I didn't have any clamps or anything that would make it work to hang it up without half draping it so I had to bring it inside with the less than ideal lighting.


The back fabric you can see above was a purchase at a local quilt shop that goes *perfect* with the whole thing.  The lovely owner helped me find in it as I generally go into a stupor of wonder and amazement when I walk into those shops.  I was also slightly in shock because I glanced at the price tag of a Bernina 830.  Oh my.


And here is the backing. Considering how sucky a job I did of flattening it to baste it, it turned our great!  I love the pieced look.  It's like having two quilts in one.  Probably took me as long to bind it as it would most people to do two.



This is the binding up close.  Coincidentally it turned out that the picture caught the fact that it is the same fabric as I used in the quilt, just a different colour.  And I am so pumped about how it turned out.  On the end of the quilt that is all white, I messed up and didn't line things up well, so the backing didn't quite stretch far enough, oops.  So I just cut along the edge as close as I could to the stitch that attached my binding to the quilt front and pulled it down farther.  It actually turned out great because it adds a little more interest to the solid ivory.  So, not such a bad boo boo.


Someone wishes he was cuddling on the quilt.

11 comments:

  1. Yes it is! I wanted something to show off the prints. It was a battle though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks fabulous ! nice work ! I like the look of hand sewed binding also ; however , since it took me forever to do a 56 x 56 lap quilt , I do not see a lot of hand sewing binding in MY future !! My excuse (and I'm sticking with it ) : Machine stitching = more secure ! Although , when I bought some Dritz 20 Sharps size 8 , it did make the process much easier ; however , I'm a klutz with a thimble ,so my fingers got tore up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish and I agree, hand stitching the back of the binding looks so much better and I actually enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous quilt. I always hand sew the back of my binding, its quite theraputic too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt looks fabulous! I love that fabric line, and your design is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. its a great design, the simplicity shows the fabric off really well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous! And at least you have a portable project if you handstitch, right? I prefer the look over machine-stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great quilt. I don't mind the time binding takes, it gives me an excuse to sit in front of the TV for a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful, great palette!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful colors! It's such a soothing quilt to look at. I'm sure it will be well used with either pretty side facing out!

    ReplyDelete